Sunday, October 31, 2010

Overcompensating

Months and months before Ellis was born I had a mini pregnancy hormone and insomnia related breakdown. I was reading all these articles about introducing your toddler to a new sibling and I was just convinced that Vince would feel all heartbroken and betrayed that we had brought a newer baby into the house. One of the articles suggested that we do things with just Vince every once in a while so that he would know that he was still going to get attention. Fate would have it that about 2 weeks after his sister was due one of Vince's favorite TV shows Yo Gabba Gabba was going to be on tour live in Atlanta.

If you've never seen Yo Gabba Gabba, it's hard to describe. The characters are strange, the premise is basic and most of the time I think that the parents love it more than the kids.

I without hesitation decided that we MUST take Vince. You know to convince him that we still loved him (work with me people, hormones work in strange ways). So I went online to buy tickets and lo and behold I must not be the only loving guilt ridden parent out there because almost all of the tickets were sold out. And I say almost because there were two kinds of tickets left: too far away to see anything and mortgage the house expensive. Guess what kind I bought? Knowing that if we were too far away to see the stage Vince would never sit still and we would have wasted all kinds of money, I decided to clean out our entertainment budget for the entire year and buy the good tickets. Not just good... front row good (remember hormones make you do crazy, crazy things).

Flash forward and not only is Vince not jealous of his sister, she was born late, so he didn't even have time to realize that he would be with her 24/7 for the rest of his life before the showtime. So 7 days after Ellis arrived, Matt, Vince, Nannie and me were off to see Yo Gabba Gabba live. Teetee drove in from Tennessee for the day to babysit Ellis. Vince had no idea why the heck he was being treated like prince for a day, and he wasn't about to question it. 

When the show started the look on his face was priceless. He was so ecstatic it was like Christmas morning times 100. I don't know if it was the complete lack of sleep because of the newborn at home or the gaping hole in my bank account but when I saw that little look of shock and amazement I started bawling like a baby. So I guess all of the Metro Atlanta YGG fans now think I'm some sort of deranged groupie for those large freakish stuffed animals but whatever. Vince had a great time, I didn't regret spending the money (ummm maybe a little) and Teetee got several hours of baby alone time.

Click here to see all of our Gabba fun... and don't be surprised if most of the pictures are a side view of Vince's face with a dumbfounded look.

All Our Love,
The Damicos

No comments: